Monday, April 6, 2009

Fickle Weather and an Update

Spring in East Tennessee is a beautiful thing. The dogwoods and redbuds are blooming, and daffodils line the sides of little country roads. And if you don't like the current weather, wait a bit - it will change. It was 78 degrees here yesterday and they're predicting snow later tonight. Sigh.

This is why we have to wait until May to plant anything that can't handle the fickle weather. I did well this year - I planted a couple of salad beds, but I successfully resisted the temptation to plant anything else, until it warms a bit more and the risk of frost is past. I do miss warm weather vegetables, though!

So, when I've successfully passed that nasty quiz here in a few months, and I'm back among the ranks of the folks who actually get paid for what they do, guess what my graduation gift to myself is going to be?? A greenhouse. Imagine the damage Melissa and I can do with that puppy! Tomatoes year-round, dwarf citrus trees, fresh herbs in the winter... the possibilities are endless!

The review course was very good, but it highlighted the amount of work I have still to do. And it's a lot. And, frankly, I'm worried. But, you carve an elephant one slice at a time, and that's what I'll do here. For the next four months, one slice at a time.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the greenhouse! I think of you often with your studies and remember you in my prayers Terri. Have a blessed Easter.

Heidi D said...

I am starting my garden this week. Well, the construction of it anyway. I am really looking forward to tomatoes. Yummmmm.

Lisa-Maladylis said...

Oh and then I can be totally jealous !! That's a beautiful greenhouse but around here we would have to clear all the trees away from it so it wouldn't get broken. I love love it ! Maybe I can do something like that in plexi glass. Hummm.

andrea said...

CARVE an ELEPHANT

I cannot imagine such a thing - you keep on carving one slice at a time and a greenhouse is a fabulous reward :)

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

It's been said that snow may be seen here, too. Which is why I try to never plant anything before Easter.....Love the greenhouse!

Susie said...

Terri, the days are passing and you are getting one step closer with each one.

I think you should definitely reward yourself with that great looking greenhouse. I would love one myself!

LaurieStar said...

Hi Terri -
I'm Lisa's sister and I just have to say - that was such a pretty bag that you made for her! What a nice gift! Very sweet! :)

Wolfie said...

Glad you made it through the weekend in one piece.

I think that "carve an elephant" comment is perfect.

I love the greenhouse too!!

Take care of YOU!!! (((HUGS)))

WOLFIE

Terri said...

Thank you, everybody, for the kind comments! :) I'm plugging away at it!

Terri

DayPhoto said...

I love your greehouse! Oh, good luck to you!!!!!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

TC said...

Is the greenhouse pictured like the one you'll be getting?

And I like my carved elephant with a little "cantle" sauce please.

Anna said...

I'm saving up for a green house. I have a horrible winter here and I really need a place to grow plants in a protected area.

Connie said...

Hang in there. Keep gnawing on that elephant! HA! You'll get there.

The greenhouse sounds great. What fun you will have with that.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter! :)