Sunday, July 12, 2009

Addiction



I have a serious fabric addiction. I love all fabrics, but I am particularly enamored, at the moment, of quilting cottons. The increasing popularity of sewing as a hobby and the versatility of cottons means that designers are creating gorgeous lines of fabric in beautiful, brilliant colors. The fabric's siren song pulls me in and I can easily spend two or three hours in a fabric shop.

The local quilt shop owners are aware of this addiction that I share with countless women (and perhaps a few men) in East Tennessee, and they feed it by getting new fabric in every week and then putting the older fabric on sale. Sometimes they put the whole shop on sale! This is NOT helping me wean myself away, people!!!

Just look at these colors! The quilt shops stock high-quality cotton fabric that's almost as smooth as silk - it's really amazing to work with! Now, you all know that I love to re-use and recycle, but once in awhile I have to feed my new fabric love. I do try to confine myself to sale fabrics, but sometimes I just simply have to have a cut or two of something gorgeous.



This floral fabric and the blue print next to it are asking to become a tote bag, I think. I'm thinking that the floral needs to be the main body of the outer bag and the print needs to be the interior (I love a tote bag with a pretty interior), but I haven't decided yet. I think this blue and brown combination is summery enough to use now but not so summery that it can't make the transition to fall. What do you think?

This tote is made from purple fabric (I know it looks blue in this photo - I couldn't correct for the flash) with a purple and beige floral print. It's for a friend of mine who's just started anesthesia school. She's meeting me in the morning to learn how to set up an operating room and how to run a basic case.

I'm putting a couple of reference books, a clipboard and a couple of high-quality pens in it. I'll give it to her tomorrow, as a "Welcome to Anesthesia School" gift. I hope she likes it!

Oh, and my sewing machine is acting up a bit, so there may not be much more sewing going on if I can't get her to behave. I'm going to do a bit of troubleshooting later this afternoon and see if I can't correct the problem. I suspect it's a combination of some lint in the machinery and a tension issue, so maybe it will be easy to correct. I hope it will be easy to correct!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love pretty fabric too. As you know, grandma sewed and my sister and I both have the habit of "feeling" of things to check the quality of the fabric! I love the blue/brown combo and it would be pretty in the fall of the year - you could even add a leaf or pumpkin pin to the outside! I sure hope your machine just needs a little adjustment; nothing serious. Your friend should be thrilled with such a cute bag and the thoughtful items inside. Have a good week Terri.

Heidi D said...

I hope you know what you have done. I am now starting my very first ever quilt! Yay! I owe it all to you my dear. :))

I love your fabric tastes by the way.

Terri said...

Mildred, the fabric selection (as we've said before) is the best part! The leaf or pumpkin pin is a brilliant idea!

Heidi, hooray! :) I love sharing my addiction! If this weren't a family-friendly blog, I'd share the suggestion of my favorite quilt-shop owner for keeping husbands from complaining about quilts and quilting - it's hilarious!

Susie said...

I hope you get your machine fixed Terri. How nice of you to make the bag for your friend entering school. That's very thoughtful of you.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Isn't it amazing how quilter's cotton does feel just like silk!! I love that! All that fabric is so gorgeous. I hope you got your machine to behave....Very cute bag!

Julia said...

I am feeling you on the sewing machine...mine is like 30+ years old and needs a tune up I think. That or I am clueless. Probably the latter. But nice stuff from your efforts. I need to get back at attempting to sew again. :)

jen said...

What a nice gift!!

I know I could spend hours upon hours in the fabric store!!

Jen

Terri said...

Susie, I think I've worked out the bugs!

Amy, I just love it. I've seen a couple of skirt patterns from quilting cotton and I'm tempted to try one just because it's so soft!

Julia, those older machines were built like tanks, so I'll bet with a tune-up yours would be great again!

Jen, you and me both! :)

Connie said...

Terri, I haven't done any sewing for a long while, but I can remember when I did, that I would go into fabric stores and run around feeling all the material. The sales clerks probably thought I was nuts! HA! Love the blue fabrics--very pretty. Hope you have a great weekend! :)