The microwave oven gave up the ghost this week. I was melting chocolate and it started smelling like something burning. I thought I had burnt the chocolate, but when I brought it out it was clear that the source of the smell was the microwave. Now it won't run at all for more than 2 seconds, so it is toast, I am afraid.
The microwave is something I have taken for granted, recently - we haven't been without one in at least ten years. I use it all the time - I rewarm coffee, warm hot water for tea, heat my breakfast muffin on the way out the door in the morning (hot coffee and a warm muffin really boost your mood at 4 a.m. in the winter!), reheat leftovers, cook vegetables... the list is almost endless.
Now I am back to heating water in the tea kettle, rewarming leftovers in the oven (horribly inefficient!), and I've replaced my cold muffin with a less nutritious (but at least warm!) toaster pastry in the mornings. We'll replace the microwave next month (when it fits into the budget), so I can be creative for another two weeks or so.
On a happier note, I have one week remaining of my cardiovascular surgery rotation. I've survived three weeks of it, and it hasn't really been all that bad. Busy, certainly, and I don't really like getting up an hour earlier every day, but the cases themselves are really fascinating. I love big, busy cases - just not every single day! I am so behind on my thesis right now that I shouldnt even be posting this, but you have to something fun and frivolous once in awhile, right?
Have fun with your Christmas preparations, everybody!
Puff’s Tissues $0.49 at CVS
1 day ago