Thursday, March 11, 2010

French Cooking: Pate a Choux

One of my recent adventures in French cuisine is something I've actually known how to make since I was a child. However, they always turned out kind of soggy, so I haven't made them in years, because my husband has a severe phobia of soggy baked goods. I always thought the bakeries had a secret that kept their eclairs from turning soggy. Turns out, they do!
Look at those - aren't they gorgeous? Wouldn't you like to make them? And have them not turn out soggy? They're easier than you think. I got brave on Valentine's Day and made a batch for the hubs, and he loved them. Raved about them. Promised anything I wanted if I'd only make eclairs again.

You can find the easy technique I used here: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/eclairs - the instructions are very clear.

Oh, and if you don't want soggy eclairs, let them cool completely before filling. That's the secret! We were always too impatient for that, growing up!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

FORGET the waiting, slather them with filling & frosting & let me at them!!!!!!!! Chuckle!

Happy St. Patrick's Day
Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs, Marydon

Debbie said...

These look wonderful! I think I know someone here that would love them too!! I'm going to get the recipe now. :)

*hugs*
Debbie

Margaret said...

You can't beat an old favourite . I sent the site of to a friend and asked her to ask me around for afternoon tea.

Susie said...

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself with these recipes Terri. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Connie said...

Mmmm...YUM! Looks delicious, Terri! :D

DayPhoto said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmm


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I love cream puffs and eclairs! I've been making them since I was a kid. I haven't made them in years, though.

Terri said...

Marydon, I'm with you! :)

Debbie, you could have a blast with these!

Margaret, I like the way you think! We need to institute a tea custom here in the states!

Susie, I hope your weekend is good, as well!

Daisy, they were good!

Linda, reeeaaalllyy good!

Amy, you should try them one of these days when you want people to think you are a superwoman!

From A Creative Heart said...

Terri....My mom loves eclairs, and it would be fun to make some for her. And since you don't live that far, I think it is only fair that you deliver some "samples" or even a cooking lesson!!! LOL
Thanks for the recipe!!!! Have a great weekend....
Hugs,
Debbie

Anna Larson said...

OH that looks SOOO good!! To bad I'm in Diet mode trying to help Hubby loose weight. I'd love to try that here but I'm trying to keep everything healthy for him.

Terri said...

Debbie, I'm game! Meet you halfway! :)

Anna, they are NOT diet-friendly. but they are good! :)