Monday, October 13, 2008

Miscalculation

You may remember, if you have read this blog recently, that I posted about buying hay for the winter. And I was happy, because we had enough hay in for the whole winter for around $600. And it was good, while it lasted, that happiness... because the horses burst my bubble this week. They ate a round bale in just over eight days. Eight DAYS. This means that we'll need 3-4 round bales a month, and that we have enough hay in to last through December, if we're lucky. :(

Really, it's my own fault. I should have known better. Historically, it has cost somewhere around $2000 a year to feed hay to the four of them, and we tend to spend most of that between October and April. Cutting the bill by 40% was too good to be true, especially in a year with higher hay and fuel prices... when something seems too good to be true, it probably is. I know that.

I was hoping to use the money saved on hay to gravel the driveway; I thought if we kept aside what we would spend on hay we could afford a load or two of gravel. Now we need more hay and we STILL need the gravel. It's always something, isn't it? So, does anybody have any hay they want to sell? Or trade? I have a couple of really cute chickens... or a pony! :)

Terri

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Growing up next to a hay field I had absolutely no idea how much hay cost....all I can say is holy cow!!!

Terri said...

I know, isn't it amazing? Makes me wish I had a hay field! Or two! Still, we'll figure something out - we always do!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Terri

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Wish I had some hay--I have pine straw! Tons of it. I told my husband we should bundle and sell it!!

Terri said...

I don't think horses eat pine straw, but it makes great mulch, doesn't it? So, maybe you're onto something!

Terri