Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Changes....

And not good ones, I'm afraid. :(

We had a class meeting today and were informed of some changes on the board exam. All nurse anesthetists take a certification exam after graduating, to prove that they are competent to practice. The exam costs $750 to take, it is required, and in many places you can't work until you pass it. In all states, you can't continue to work past a certain point without passing it, so skipping the exam is not an option.

I could theoretically take the exam in just over six months, and I had planned on doing just that. Until today. The test committee, it seems, has decided to roll out drastic changes in the test format without trialing them first. So, the trial will be those of us who take the test this summer and early fall, and if we don't pass, we can't work. Nice, huh?

Now, don't get me wrong - I am all for a comprehensive exam that is strenuous enough to prove that a person is knowledgeable and qualified to administer anesthesia. I have no problem with increasing the difficulty level of the test. I do have a problem, however, with including five different types of untested question styles in this exam. This little exam that determines whether or not I can earn a living, or whether or not I've wasted the last three years+ of my life.

So, what does this mean? It means that my current study plan probably isn't sufficient for the added complexity of five different styles of new questions on top of the complexity of the information as it stands. I'm going to have to devote more time to study, and less time to other things, like sewing, and gardening, and blogging. :(

You'll be seeing a little less of me for the next few months, as I try to prepare for this hurdle. I know six months seems like a long time, but given a 50-60 hour clinical week, regular classes and tests, a thesis and the new test format, six months isn't much time at all. Please bear with me for the next few months as I work through this and get ready for graduation, and for the little "quiz" that follows!

I'll still stop by your blogs, probably about once a week, to catch up on what you're all doing and how things are going. I'll blog here once or twice a week, and I'll still have the occasional giveaway, because they're fun and I still need a little fun in my life! And I'll study like crazy, and I'll take and pass this little "quiz" a few months from now, and then I'll be blogging and gardening and sewing like a crazy woman! Just you wait and see if I don't! :)

15 comments:

Peggy said...

You do what you have to do and we will be here cheering you on and sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Hang in there as I just know you will pass with flying colors!!

Cris said...

Oh boy, sounds a little stressful. I'm sure you will be prepared and do just fine though!

Anonymous said...

As Peggy said, we will all be praying for you and we will all be here waiting when you pass. God Bless Terri!

Yarn Princess said...

See... neither of us has enough stress in our lives... We needed MORE!!! ;)))))

Thanks for putting up with Gamer Boy. We really appreciate him having a place to go and people he feels comfortable with. {{{HUG}}}

Wolfie said...

Oh my.... ((((HUGS))))

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers while you undertake this new wrinkle to your plans.

Take care of you!!

WOLFIE

Susie said...

Oh no doubt you will pass Terri. You are a determined young lady. I'll be praying for you because we all know that that always helps!!!

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Oh Terri! That sounds very stressful! Geez! Don't you just love beaurocrats?

Connie said...

Best of luck to you, Terri! Those six months will fly by. You will see. Just keeping plugging away at it a day at a time. The fun things will all still be there when you reach your goals. Hang in there.:)

DayPhoto said...

Oh, that sucks! But know that we are all cheering you on, and sending prayers your way.

Let us know how things go. We are here for ya gal!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

TC said...

Learning never stops. But you'd think the tests would. Study hard and you'll do just fine, regardless of the format. ;~)

The Word Verification word was "ramshee," so ramshee that "little quiz!"

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your preparing and testing.

Julia said...

We'll miss you but know you will be back. Good luck study hard and get rest in between!

Terri said...

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words and support! I appreciate each and every one of you!
Terri

simple~needs said...

you can do it! isnt it amazing when you are in the trial group or get the feeling your are one of skinner's rats?? i hate that.
i got my new RN momnetum magazine a few days ago. i guess we are no longer having a wallet card to carry stating we are a nurse. it saddesn me, i think after all the hard work and schooling, we should at least have a small daily remionder that we did it!
kim

Terri said...

Kim, why no wallet card? I carried it (along with BLS & ACLS cards) with me everywhere when I was a travel nurse. The wallet card is convenient and surely they can't cost that much to produce!