Sunday, March 15, 2009

Seedlings

Yesterday, I helped (in a very small way, to be sure!) bring some human babies into the world. Today, it's all about baby plants. Yes, the seedlings are starting to grow!


Since it's been warm enough here to leave the seed starting trays outside most of the time, and since it's cloudy and gray today, I felt comfortable putting some of the babies out into their beds and planter boxes. If we have a freeze in April I am sooo going to regret this, but right now I'm willing to gamble.

So, basil and oregano went into the herb boxes, and some of the smaller flowers (petunias and convolvulus) went into a couple of hanging planters that I keep on the porch. With a little patience, we'll have pretty (and frugal) flowers everywhere, and fresh herbs and vegetables (again, frugal!) for the table.

Now, if I could just convince some grass to grow in all this clay! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to smell basil and oregano. Best wishes with getting grass to grow in clay. We finally gave up - we have nothing but rocks and clay! If you have a lot of sun, cotoneaster is a good groundcover alternative.

Yarn Princess said...

You are so enviable! ;)

Are you planning on growing any baby chickens this year? I was talking to Donn about chicks yesterday and how Hannah loved the chicks at UT.

andrea said...

oh man - and I was excited to clean up thatched grass - I won't even start early seeds til this weekend - our last frost will hit in May sometime and probably hit hard!
fingers crossed you weren't premature though ;)

Terri said...

Mildred, I don't think I've heard of that. I'll have to Google it.

YP, we aren't doing baby chicks this year - the girls are still laying well enough to meet our needs. But Tractor Supply has them every year for a couple of bucks apiece. Maybe one of Hannah's nurses would like a start of chicks?

Andrea, the seeds are so easy to start that if I'm too early I'll mourn briefly and then start some more. But if I'm not too early, then we'll have flowers a month or so from now! :)

Terri

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I have no idea what convolvulus are but it sounds kinda kinky!
I have seriously thought of getting that grass that I've seen on tv that will grow on a cinder block!

Terri said...

Amy, the blue flower in the post is convolvulus. I just picked up the seeds - I have never grown it before. Volvulus in medical terminology is a twisted bowel! Like you, I've thought of that cinder block stuff!

Susie said...

Good luck with the grass growing in the clay. Yuk!

I can't believe you are already planting your seedlings. Mine are still too tiny to plant.

DayPhoto said...

I love both of your last posts! New babies for spring!

You have a great job!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Terri said...

Susie, mine may be too tiny, but I'm kicking them out of the nest anyway! :) The strong survive around here!!

Linda, yeah, I do kind of have a great job! And one of these days, I'll actually get paid to do it!

Terri

Connie said...

Best of luck with your seedlings, Terri! So much to look forward to! :D