Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pegging Rosebushes

A couple of weeks ago, Mildred's article about hairpins reminded me of being told of their use for pegging climbing roses. Since I have an unruly climbing rosebush, I was intrigued and started poking about for more information.

It turns out that pegging the rose not only tames its growth habit, it forces more blooms. So, an unsightly, leggy rosebush should, in theory, turn into a lovely garden showpiece covered with blooms.

So, yesterday, I pegged my climbing rose. Here's an article on taming your own leggy rosebushes, if any of you have that problem: Train Roses to Produce More Flowers. Hopefully, my rose will come to resemble the one in the photo. If not, I'm not any worse off than I was - at least pinning down the canes made the plant look better!

6 comments:

Lisa-Maladylis said...

I will have to save that idea for a while because I have yet to get any roses growing at this new home. I do have some young mini roses started but they seem to be growing really slow here. Gardens are one of my focuses this year here. Great article !

andrea said...

I don't do roses - but wow do I admire those of you who do (my dad is "INTO" roses and it's way more work than I have time for ...I'll enjoy your roses from here tho if that's ok ;)

Susie said...

I enjoy finding uses for ordinary things. I hope your rose does well for you.

Terri said...

Lisa, I found the roses on sale last year. And I know you're not supposed to buy clearance rosebushes, but I have 5 full-sized and about 8 minis that have been doing find for more than a year.

Andrea, maybe its our climate, but mine don't really get any tending at all, except their annual pruning and a bit of deadheading in the summer.

Susie, like you, I like to find multiple uses for ordinary things!

TC said...

Be careful, your rose pegging job could turn into a very sticky situation! You might want to try "pinglons" instead of hairpins. ;~P
(I'm havin more fun "wordin" with you than a pig in mud!)

Connie said...

I don't have any roses growing here, but I hope that the pegging helps yours. They are such a beautiful flower.

HA HA! word verification is surosess

su-roses-s

stands for super roses I think ;)